The Kentucky Field Experience Tracking System (KFETS) is an online application for tracking field experiences of teacher candidates enrolled in a Kentucky teacher preparation program and students who plan to enroll in a teacher preparation program in Kentucky. Candidates in Kentucky are required to complete a minimum of 200 field experience hours prior to student teaching. 16 KAR 5:040. Admission, placement, and supervision in student teaching provides details about the field experience requirements:
Section 3. Admission to Student Teaching. In addition to the appropriate sections of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards which are incorporated by reference in 16 KAR 5:010, each educator preparation institution shall determine minimum standards for admission to student teaching which shall include the procedures established in this section. Admission to student teaching shall include a formal application procedure for each teacher candidate.
(1) A record or report from a valid and current medical examination, which shall include a tuberculosis (TB) risk assessment, shall be placed on file with the admissions committee.
(2) Prior to and during the student teaching experience, the teacher candidate shall adhere to the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel established in 16 KAR 1:020.
(3) Beginning September 1, 2013, prior to admission to student teaching, each teacher candidate shall complete a minimum of 200 clock hours of field experiences in a variety of primary through grade 12 (P-12) school settings which allow the candidate to participate in the following:
(a) Engagement with diverse populations of students which include:
1. Students from a minimum of two (2) different ethnic or cultural groups of which the candidate would not be considered a member;
2. Students from different socioeconomic groups;
3. English language learners;
4. Students with disabilities; and
5. Students from across elementary, middle school, and secondary grade levels;
(b) Observation in schools and related agencies, including:
1. Family Resource Centers; or
2. Youth Service Centers;
(c) Student tutoring;
(d) Interaction with families of students;
(e) Attendance at school board and school-based council meetings:
(f) Participation in a school-based professional learning community; and
(g) Opportunities to assist teachers or other school professionals.
(4) The educator preparation program shall require the candidate to submit a record of all clinical hours for review and confirmation that the candidate has fulfilled the field experiences required in subsection (3) of this section.
(5) The educator preparation program shall maintain electronic records that confirm that all candidates enrolled in student teaching after September 1, 2013, have fulfilled the field experiences required in subsection (3) of this section.
The PowerPoints below provide instructions for navigating the KFETS application for candidates and institutions.