Frequently Asked Questions About Alternative Certification
What is the best route to Alternative Certification?
Because each route is designed differently, each one fits different situations. You will need to look over the information about each route to see which one is the best for you. Our most popular route, and where most people find the best fit is Option 6.
Where can I get a list of the colleges or universities offering Option 6?
Go to http://www.epsb.ky.gov/certification/approvedlist.asp. The programs offered are also included on this website.
Do I have to have a job offer to apply for certification through an alternative route?
It depends on the route through which you are seeking certification. For Options 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 the answer is YES. Options 3 and 7 do not require a job offer.
How can I get a job offer without certification?
The school districts across Kentucky are aware of the Alternative Routes to Certification programs. Tell the district when you apply that you are pursuing an alternative route. If they are interested in you as a serious candidate for the job opening, they will work with you to complete the appropriate forms.
Can I get a certification application form from the EPSB for my alternative route?
- Option 1 – NO. The school district provides the needed forms
- Option 2 – NO. The school district will work with you to complete the necessary forms
- Option 3 – YES. Call 1-888-598-7667 and ask for the alternative routes coordinator
- Option 4 – NO. The school district provides the needed forms
- Option 5 – YES. Call 1-888-598-7667 and ask for the Troops to Teachers coordinator.
- Option 6 – NO. Both the college/university and the district must sign off on the form. This form is available from your college/university or your district. They will assist you in completing it.
- Option 7 – NO. Both the college/university and the district must sign off on the form. This form is available from your college/university or your district. They will assist you in completing itt.
- Option 8—NO. Application forms for this option will be available directly from Teach For America at such time as this program is active in Kentucky.
Contact the EPSB Division of Certification